Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tonight, I Am Thankful



A year ago tomorrow was the day that changed our lives forever.  I think I can remember talking with Andy around this time of the evening and saying, “If he isn’t better in the morning, I think I better take him in.”  I’m so thankful I did.  At one point during our stay, Andy asked Dr. Lam (Jeremiah’s surgeon) how “close we were.”  All Dr. Lam said was “Close.”  It’s still haunting to think about that.  Many nights I have to consciously tell myself to stop reliving those early days in the hospital- just after his surgery when everything was settling in, when we still didn’t know if he had cancer or if he would even make it through the worst part of his pain.  I wonder if that will ever fade; probably, with time and lots of prayer.

I was just reading through some of the messages we received after we posted on social media what was going on with Jeremiah.  It is incredible the support we received and the prayers that were offered up for our little boy; surely more than we could ever count.  It’s so strange to look back and see some of the verses and words of truth people sent and to think about myself reading them a year ago.  I know I cried a lot.  I was thankful for the encouragement and still am.  Jeremiah will hear the story many times, and it will be amazing to show him how God worked through His people to pray for his recovery and healing (I’ll probably have to explain to him what facebook was haha). 

So, on this night, the eve of an awful day one year ago, I am thankful.  Tonight I got to watch the wonder in my son’s eyes as we did our advent devotion.  I got to see the joy in his smile as he “blew” out the match when we lit the candle.  He sings with us as we sing and prays with us as we pray.  I watched him a little more closely tonight, just remembering how much has changed in a year.  Tonight, I am thankful.

No comments: