Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ready or Not, Westmont here we come.

I finally feel like I am in a place where I can read something intelligent (I thought that day might never come again). I decided to start reading Frost and Hirsch's, Shaping of Things to Come. The sub-title is "innovation and mission for the 21st-century church." The line that I just read was something to the effect of "we don't want to provide another model for church, but rather a mode." I must say that I agree with what they are saying thus far. Churches can't all look the same. They have to be shaped by the cultural context of which they are a part. This has got me wondering, what on Earth is the cultural context of Westmont? We have only been a part of this community since the end of June (and I probably feel like less of a part just because I have been consumed by trying to figure out what the heck it means to be a mommy). But I have really started to wonder what our church will look like, in light of the Gospel and our cultural context. The group of us that are down here is somewhat homogeneous. A lot of us like art and coffee, are parents of young children, care about the environment (in varying degrees), love Jesus, and want to meet our community members where they are at instead of making them come to us. But do the people in Westmont like art and coffee? I know there are a lot of parents with young children, so that must be an interest of some sort :) A lot of people recycle. Ha. These are clearly just a few of the surface observations that I have made thus far. I know we are here for a purpose and that God has called us here for this specific season of our lives. I just don't quite know what that looks like yet. But I am okay with it. I know God will show us in His perfect time. Reading on to see just what else I can learn!!!

No comments: