Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Next Best Thing

So I started reading this book called Cold Tangerines. The general premise is that so often in our looking forward to the next part of life, we miss out on what's happening right now. I was talking to my mom about that idea today and she said that when she turned 50 she had this whole year process of realizing and understanding that life goes too fast to not enjoy each day for what it is. So here is what I am trying to do: enjoy today. It isn't always easy. I want to get a new job. I want to travel and do fun things. I want it to be Christmas. But right now I don't have a new job, and we don't have time or money to travel, and it isn't Christmas. It is the end of October. The leaves are beautiful. It is that time in the Midwest that always reminds me of when I first started college. I remember walking out my dorm exit and smelling the air; taking in the crisp senses of a fall day. This is where I am right now. Truth be told; I do love this time of year. So I guess, for today, I love today.

No comments: