Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Longest Day of Last Year

My sweet baby turns 1 year old tomorrow! I cannot even believe it! Wow, that just may be the fastest year of my life so far. Thinking about Lydia turning one, can only remind me of the events leading up to her birth... the longest day of last year. Here is just a little recap of the turn of events for all or any that care to read on.

I had my standard weekly appointment on Friday. The doc was a little concerned about some of the protein counts and had me go to the hospital for more blood tests. I also had to take a 24-hour urine sample (gross right?!). So I did the sample on Saturday, the lab was closed Sunday, and I took it in Monday morning before work.
That day at work, I felt just terrible. I don't remember a lot, except that I did go home early and take a really long nap. Shortly after waking up, we got a call asking us to "come in for more tests." "Don't pack a bag," she said. I did anyway.
We got to the hospital and the nurses were like, "We have been waiting for you." We were whisked off to "my room," and I was told to put my clothes in a bag, get on a gown, and lie in bed. By the time we realized what was happening, well, we realized what was happening.
I won't go into all the yucky details of what followed during the next 12-16 hours. It included lots of feeling terrible and lots of wanting the child to be out of me as soon as possible. This was all without even having any contractions, labor pains, etc. It had turned out that my protein counts were in the 6000's. They said they get worried when they are in the 300's. Needless to say, there was no option to waiting a few more weeks. Lydia was coming 4 1/2 weeks early.

To be continued...

No comments: